A new initiative at the Competition in 2015, The ‘Little Lev’ Junior Piano Masterclass aims to identify and support talented young pianists aged 10-15 years with a professional development opportunity and learning experience. For the inaugural Masterclass, children from around Australia were asked to send an audition video, with those selected needing to have achieved at least an AMEB Level 8 standard of performance.
Seven promising young pianists (pictured), from as far as Hobart and Cairns travelled to Brisbane to take part. During the Masterclass, students worked with Mikhail Solovei, with other Jury members attending in the audience. Based on their performances in the masterclass, two participants, Jeremy Sun (age 10) and Reuben Tsang (age 11) were selected to perform in front of the audience at the Lev Vlassenko Piano Competition Grand Final Concert, the following night, Friday 4 September.
THE ‘LITTLE LEV’ PROGRAM
- Masterclass with one of our internationally recognised, visiting concert pianists
- Two selected students, considered of a very high standard, perform as part of the Lev Vlassenko Piano Competition Grand Finals held at the Queensland Conservatorium Theatre. This is a public performance.
- All participants, whether selected to perform or not, will be invited to attend the Grand Final concert.
To be eligible to apply students must:
- be of at least Grade 8 AMEB or equivalent standard
- be no older than 15, and no younger than 10 as at the start of Lev Vlassenko Competition
- Auditions for the Masterclass will be in the form of a video submission at the time of application. This can be provided via email as an MP4 or link to a you-tube/vimeo clip, or via DVD to our postal address.
- For auditions, students must play 5-7 minutes of repertoire of their own choice.
- This recording must be accompanied by a signed statement from the applicant’s music teacher to verify the authenticity of the performance and must be made within four weeks prior to the closing date (as outlined on the application form).
- We’re looking for applicants that demonstrate both musical ability and appropriate preparation for the audition videos.
- An audition video will be eligible only if all documentation and payments have been received.